SOC 2009 Project Ideas, mentors and students
These are some initial project ideas that should guide students when writing an application for GoogleSoc2009 (see the disclaimer there).
These ideas are very brief - we know that and we do that on purpose, because we expect from you that you get active, look into the moin code, talk to moin developers and work out a more detailled project proposal before writing your application. If your application is as brief as the ideas listed below, we see that you did not work on it enough.
If you have any questions about these, come into the MoinMoinChat. This is especially helpful because the ideas here are mostly pretty short and might need some explanations.
If nothing else is mentioned, work will be based on the main repo (currently this is: http://hg.moinmo.in/moin/1.9/ ).
denotes project ideas that are important and still lack applications.
- (add a link to your wiki home page here if you are interested)
- add ACL support
- make ACL system more flexible (extend/refactor - maybe this should be either done by same student or after SOC, working in parallel on the old ACL code in another repo than the storage repo maybe doesn't make much sense)
- router middleware
- merging, testing
- full integration (iron out remaining glitches)
SQLAlchemy backend (ChristopherDenter)
- more backends, backend that works on win32 without too much dependencies; complete unfinished helper backends
make fs17 backend read-write or make fs backend work on win32
Improve Xapian-based search
improve search results weighting / sorting / rendering
- remove xapwrap dependency
- improve index locking
- more filters
- more tests
DOM tree based parser / formatter
write converters for
DOM > moin wiki (moin wiki > DOM exists)
ReST > DOM > ReST
docbook > DOM > docbook
ACLs / Groups / auth
- Extending moin's groups to LDAP and other external sources (finish failed 2008 SOC project)
- Add a plugin which visualizes access rights of each user for different settings, e.g. if acl_hierarchic = True
User Interface enhancements
user interface and URL dispatching redesign for generalized items (unified pages and attachments)
- create Web based installation and administration UI
- replace gdgraph based statistics by svgfig, write a safe parser for svgfig graphics
- RSS feed improvements and Atom implementation
- add a diff plugin which shows who contributed which change
- various macros could be executed and results are shown, while then dialogues need be added to modify them
- some parsers do extend the wiki markup parser, e.g. sstable. Make the gui editor work with these parsers too.
Extended Sisterwiki for i18n (Sisterwiki is only useful if the page name in the sister wiki is the same. If you use multiple wikis for similar content in different languages, there is a need to map the different page names in each language to each other. Just like Wikipedia does it, only better. )
- Make bullet-proof round-tripping possible, building on Mikko Virkkilä's work for Google Soc 2006
- add different sort methods
- implement transpose
- implement math
make TWikiDraw save as .svg (Java!), java mentor = ??
make a Python converter for twikidraw files to svg
add a svg graphics tool with similar properties than TWikiDraw that depends somehow on the line above to be useful
improve the i18n subsystem (complete rewrite)
solve issues with i18n strings discovered in the dom refactoring project
- using ngettext rather than gettext
- improve the way language installation is handled
- implement i18n with human computation for untranslated messages or ui elements to convince users to translate needed text.
Just some buzzwords, be creative.
- Accessibility (there is existing work in the accessibility branch that can be used, refactored and extended)
Mediawiki to MoinMoin converter (in Python!), see DOM repo
- tokyo cabinet
We have lots of FeatureRequests (not all of them make sense for SOC 2009, though)!
You can have a look at all the FeatureRequests that are already stored in this wiki. Some of them might be a good inspiration for a SOC application.